Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Wacky Cake (Dairy Free) & Brooklyn Turns 2!

My sweet little girl turned two years old a couple weeks ago. I am in disbelief that she could possibly be two!! You hear people say "time flies"..... I don't think anyone fully understands how fast it does fly until you have a child! Sigh... So my baby is a big girl now. Makes me want to go cry for a bit, yet at the same time I am excited to watch her grow and learn!



Unfortunately, on the day of her party she was not feeling well and we had to cancel. It was quite the let down.... Although, I think I was the one most upset! ha All the planning, buying, and preparing. We still had our families come over so we did celebrate after all.


I had fun making the banner and pom poms with the help of my sister, Brooklyn's Aunt Reyna!



 I didn't end up setting everything out since the whole party wasn't attending. Here is what we did have out.



Brooklyn was a "little" clingy since she wasn't feeling well. She did get excited about blowing the candles out though! 


 Eli wanted to get in a picture too! He was so precious to Brooklyn on her Birthday.


Do you see the exposed drywall behind me in the above photos? That has been a work in progress for a LONG time. You will see more on that project soon. :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Brooklyn is allergic to milk which includes ALL dairy products and anything with milk in it. It has been quite the challenge finding good substitute recipes. Right after Christmas we went on a short trip to visit my mom in Tennessee. Literally, we decided Friday night at 9pm we would leave around noon the next day! lol It was a fast trip, but we had fun surprising them! While we were there my mom made a Wacky Cake! She found the recipe in a old church cook book. This recipe reminded her of a cake her mom (my grandma) used to make when she was younger. The exception was this Wacky Cake is DAIRY FREE!! Yay! And it is tasty as well! Double Yay!


 (*Note, the ice-cream was not dairy free!)

 So for the party I made my own Wacky Cake and added a sweet coconut frosting. I found the frosting recipe over at ohsheglows.com. I did it a little differently....ah hem (clearing of throat)... I didn't put the coconut milk in the fridge overnight! It wasn't as solid as it probably should of been, but I think it looked and tasted great!


So here is the Wacky Cake Recipe! 
Ingredients:
-3 c. flour                        - 2 Tbsp. Vinegar
-2 c. sugar                       - 3/4 c. vegetable oil
-1 tsp. baking soda          -2 c. water
-3 Tbsp cocoa powder 

Sift together flour, sugar, and cocoa powder. Add vinegar, oil, and water. Mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Coconut Frosting- (I highly suggest going over to the excellent step-by-step process at ohsheglows.com found here.)
Ingredients:
 -Full fat coconut milk (placed in refrigerator overnight)
 -2-3 tsp maple syrup (or whatever sweetener of your choice)
-1/4-1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract



She LOVED her Birthday Cake


Eli went all in and forgot about his fork! lol oh boy!





 Happy Birthday Big Girl!
(You can see how she wasn't feeling well.)




Let me know if you try the Wacky Cake or have another great dairy free cake recipe!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...